A dispute between Apple and Epic Games will end in the 2020 removal of Fortnite, one of the most popular games currently available, from the App Store. The decision, which made it impossible to routinely download Fortnite to iPhones and iPads, enraged gamers worldwide.
Even if you have never purchased or played Fortnite before, it is still possible to install it on your iPhone or iPad. This article describes how to play Fortnite on an iPhone or iPad despite Apple no longer allowing it in the App Store.
As of 19 May 2022, Nvidia GeForce Now is now beta-testing a new version of the game with touch-control. Below are instructions on how to play.
Why Can’t I Download Fortnite through the App Store?
You probably already know about Apple’s protracted legal struggle with Epic Games. Apple withdrew Fortnite from the App Store in August 2020 as a result of Epic’s implementation of an in-app payment structure to avoid paying Apple’s 30% fee.
The firms filed lawsuits against one another and fought it out in court for the majority of 2021 and the remainder of 2020, until the judge ultimately gave a ruling that favoured Apple substantially.
The good news is that Fortnite will not be removed from your iPhone if you already own it. It is impossible to stop Fortnite. Your iPhone will retain this feature. The only possible issue is if bugs eventually render the application inoperable.
Problematic users are those who do not currently have Fortnite on their devices and are attempting to seek a new download method.
Will Apple Restore Fortnite to the App Store?
With the exception of a few appeals and objections to the judge’s concessions, it appears that most of the legal bickering has been resolved. It does not look like Fortnite will return to the App Store any time soon, as there are little signs of cooperation between the two companies.
Method 1: Play Fortnite via Cloud Gaming on Xbox.
Microsoft account is required.
Microsoft’s Xbox Cloud Gaming service can be used to stream Fortnite.
Following these steps, you may play Fortnite using touch controls or an Xbox controller that can be linked to an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. How to link an iOS device to an Xbox One controller.
As the Xbox version of the game is streamed via the cloud, the greatest disadvantage of this method is the possibility of quality compromises and increased latency.
- Install Xbox Cloud Gaming and play Fortnite on your iPhone or iPad by following these steps:
- Visit xbox.com/play on your iPhone or iPad’s web browser and sign in using your Microsoft account.
- Here, you can play Fortnite and more Xbox Cloud Gaming games.
- A subscription to Game Pass Ultimate is not required to play Fortnite.
- Learn more about Microsoft’s announcement that the Xbox Cloud Gaming service will provide Fortnite for free.
Method 2: Immediately Use Geforce to Play Fortnite
Requirements: GeForce graphics card and a reliable Internet connection Subscription is no longer required, however it is recommended.
Using Nvidia’s GeForce Now service, which received an update in January 2022, you may play Fortnite in Safari using the Safari web browser. Initially a closed beta, Nvidia has now opened the test to anybody who wishes to participate. You don’t even need a subscription to play; however, if you don’t have one, you can only play for one hour at a time and at a lesser level.
GeForce Now is a gaming service hosted in the cloud. This suggests that the actual gameplay is generated remotely as opposed to locally, allowing you to enjoy high-end gaming performance on a cheap PC, Mac, iPad, or iPhone. Ensure that your Internet connection is robust. Nvidia recommends 25–50Mbps.
Subscription pricing is organised by tiers, with a free tier (yeah!) for fast sessions and low performance at the bottom. The RTX 3080 tier with premium performance costs £89.99/$99.99 for six months, as opposed to £8.99/$9.99 for the Priority plan.
The explainer from our sister website Tech Advisor contains all the necessary information: Nvidia GeForce Currently: What exactly is it?
- Install Fortnite from your past purchases.
- Prior Fortnite purchase or installation is required.
- Despite Apple deleting Fortnite from the App Store, you may easily install it on your iPhone or iPad if you have previously purchased and/or installed the game.
Your Iphone or Ipad Should Now Be Accessible Through the App Store.
- Select the Account button (usually shows your Apple ID profile photo or Memoji.)
- Select Purchased > My Purchases to display a list of every app and game you’ve ever downloaded.
- Google Fortnite (you could use the search bar).
- Tap the download icon to redownload Fortnite (a cloud with a downward pointing arrow).